BANCO DI SANTA MARIA DEL POPOLO
Place: Piazza San Lorenzo
In 1522, on the hill of Sant'Agnello in Caponapoli, the Church and Hospital of Santa Maria del Popolo degli Incurabili (commonly known as the Hospital of the Incurables) were born by Maria Richenza wife of Giovanni Longo, Minister of the King of Naples Ferdinando il Catholic. In 1589 the Banco di Santa Maria del Popolo was established, the first of which was the hospital.
When the work grew in importance, it was decided, in 1597, to transfer the offices to a building owned by the Hospital in the square of San Lorenzo, and properly in the building on the corner between Via dei Tribunali and Via San Gregorio Armeno, in front of the churches of San Lorenzo and San Paolo of the Theatine fathers. The cost of renovating the building, based on designs by the architect Giovan Battista Cavagni (with whom Giovan Giacomo Conforto worked), and the purchase of other premises, was 10,000 ducats; the move took place in the 1600s. Currently the renovated building is home to civilian homes.