The Kanawha & Michigan Railway
The railroad of the Kanawha & Michigan Railway Company, herein called the Kanawha & Michigan, is a single-track, standard-gage steam railroad, located in the States of Ohio and West Virginia, and extending from Corning, Ohio, to Gauley Bridge, W. Va., with branches to Carrington, Athens, Calvin, Pomeroy, and Gallipolis, Ohio, and from Carbondale and Bloomer, W. Va., to near-by points. The company wholly owns freight and passenger terminals at Hobson, Ohio and Charleston and Gauley Bridge, W. Va., and a freight terminal at Dickson, W. Va. In addition, it jointly owns with another carrier freight and passenger facilities at Corning, Ohio.
The Kanawha & Michigan wholly owns 163.682 miles of road, of which it uses 152.568 miles, and leases 11.114 miles to The Zanesville and Western Railway Company. The Kanawha & Michigan wholly
The property of The Middleport and Northeastern Railway
The property of The Point Pleasant Bridge Company, likewise leased to and operated by the Kanawha & Michigan, consists of a bridge and tracks thereon extending from the north end of the Ohio River bridge in Ohio to the south end of this bridge in Point Pleasant, W. Va., a distance of 0.744 miles.
The Kanawha & Michigan wholly owns and uses 281.188 miles of all tracks, wholly owns but does not use 11.114 miles of all tracks, and wholly uses but does not own 3.338 miles of all tracks. These tracks are classified in the trackage table in Appendix 1. The Kanawha & Michigan also owns and uses jointly with other carriers 8.621 miles of all tracks, as shown in the trackage table referred to.
The Kanawha & Michigan is a corporation of the States of Ohio and West Virginia, having its principal office at Columbus, Ohio. It is controlled through ownership of a majority of the outstanding capital stock by The Toledo and Ohio Central Railway Company, which latter company is controlled by The New York Central Railroad Company. On the other hand, the Kanawha & Michigan controls, through ownership of the entire outstanding capital stock, The Point Pleasant Bridge Company, and through ownership of a majority of the outstanding stock, The Gauley and Eastern Railway Company. The entire property of The Point Pleasant Bridge Company was operated under implied lease as a part of its system on December 31, 1917. The Kanawha & Michigan also controls, through ownership of a majority of the outstanding capital stock, the Kanawha and West Virginia Railroad Company, whose property was separately operated on December 31, 1917.
The property of the Kanawha & Michigan, except the section from Glouster to Carrington, Ohio, of 11.114 miles, has been operated by its own organization from the date of acquirement until December 31, 1917. The excepted section was operated by The Zanesville and Western Railway Company. On January 1, 1918, its common-carrier property was taken over for operation by the United States Railroad Administration, which operates it on date of valuation.
The Kanawha & Michigan was incorporated under the general laws of the States of Ohio and West Virginia, the articles of incorporation being filed in those States on April 24, 1890, and April 25, 1890, respectively; for the stated purpose of acquiring, completing, maintaining, and operating the property and franchises of The Kanawha and Ohio Railway Company. The Kanawha & Michigan subsequently acquired the property, rights, and franchises of one other railroad corporation. The Kanawha & Michigan, itself, and that corporation, together with their predecessors, total eight different corporations, and comprise the line of corporate succession culminating in the Kanawha & Michigan as at present constituted. The following chart shows the names of the corporations, the respective dates of incorporation, and for each predecessor the date of succession. [...]