1899 - THE CHICAGO AND ALTON RAILROAD...
1899 - THE CHICAGO AND ALTON RAILROAD...
1899 - THE CHICAGO AND ALTON RAILROAD...

1899 - THE CHICAGO AND ALTON RAILROAD COMPANY Gold Bond $ 1.000 - Scripopass (COA) included

9505
In Stock
€249.00
Tax included Shipping excluded

1899 - THE CHICAGO AND ALTON RAILROAD COMPANY Gold Bond $ 1.000

UNCANCELLED WITH COUPONS

INCLUDED OFFICIAL INTERNATIONAL 
SCRIPOPASS (COA) CERTIFICATION OF AUTHENTICATION

PayPal

Description

The Alton Railroad (reporting mark A) was the final name of a railroad linking Chicago to Alton, Illinois, St. Louis, Missouri, and Kansas City, Missouri. Its predecessor, the Chicago and Alton Railroad (reporting mark C&A),[1] was purchased by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in 1931 and was controlled until 1942 when the Alton was released to the courts. On May 31, 1947 the Alton Railroad was merged into the Gulf, Mobile and Ohio Railroad. Jacob Bunn had been one of the founding reorganizers of the Chicago & Alton Railroad Company during the 1860s.

Main lines included Chicago to St. Louis and a branch to Kansas City.[2] The former is now part of Union Pacific, with Metra Heritage Corridor commuter rail service north of Joliet (owned by the Canadian National Railway but used by UP). Today, the Kansas City line is part of the Kansas City Southern Railway system.

History

The earliest ancestor to the Alton Railroad was the Alton and Sangamon Railroad, chartered February 27, 1847 in Illinois to connect the Mississippi River town of Alton to the state capital at Springfield in Sangamon County. The line was finished in 1852, and as the Chicago & Mississippi Railroad extended to Bloomington in 1854 and Joliet in 1855. Initially trains ran over the completed Chicago and Rock Island Railroad to Chicago.

The Joliet and Chicago Railroad was chartered February 15, 1855 and opened in 1856, continuing north and northeast from Joliet to downtown Chicago. It was leased by the Chicago & Mississippi, providing a continuous railroad from Alton to Chicago. In 1857 the C&M was reorganized as the St. Louis, Alton and Chicago Railroad, and another reorganization on October 10, 1862, produced the Chicago and Alton Railroad. The C&A chartered the Alton and St. Louis Railroad to extend the line to East St. Louis, opened in 1864, giving it a line from Chicago to East St. Louis.

In 1925 Chicago & Alton carried 2143 million revenue ton-miles of freight and 202 million revenue passenger-miles on (at year-end) 1056 miles of road and 1863 miles of track. Same numbers for 1944 were 2596, 483, 959 and 1717. By 1950, all of the Alton's steam locomotives were replaced by diesel locomotives.

Product Details

Place of issue
Year of issue
1899
Nation of issue
USA

Reviews

No reviews
Product added to wishlist
Product added to compare.

This site or third-party tools used by this make use of cookies necessary for the operation and useful for the purposes described in the cookie policy.
If you want to learn more or opt out of all or some cookies, see the cookie policy.
By closing this banner, clicking on a link or continuing navigation in any other way, you consent to the use of cookies.