Founded in 1880 for the exercise of a foundry of typefaces, Nebiolo becomes one of the major Italian industries, with three large factories in the city: the Fabbrica Macchine in Borgo San Paolo, the Fonderia Fonti and the Fonderia Ghisa in via Bologna. It fails in 1993.
Giovanni Nebiolo (1848-1925) acquires a small foundry of characters in Turin in 1878, and in 1880 he founded a company "for the exercise of a foundry of typographical characters". In the same year, on June 13th, he founded Nebiolo & Comp. With its headquarters in Via dei Fiori (later Via Belfiore) with the Monferrino Lazzaro Levi. With the entry of new members in 1888 the company expanded and added the production of printing machines to the production of printing characters. Technical originality, selected materials and accurate workmanship soon ensure Nebiolo's popularity in Italy and abroad. In 1890 the company moved to the premises of the former Bakery Company in the area between Corso Regio Parco, Palermo and along Dora Florence. In 1906 the Fonderie Subalpine arise for the supply of the material necessary for the manufacture of graphic machines, and in 1908 the agreement with the Milanese competitor Urania gave birth to Augusta, for the operation of the plants and the trade of the products of the two companies. After the war conversion, in 1918 Nebiolo and Urania merged: to reorganize and rationalize the production cycle between 1919 and 1922 three new factories were built on the city territory, the Fabbrica Macchine in Borgo San Paolo, the Fonderia Fonti and the Fonderia Ghisa in via Bologna. Although the 1920s were marked by workers' unrest, starting with the "hand strike" of September 1920, Nebiolo increased exports to the standstill of the '29. The crisis persuades the company to move towards the processing of machine tools, intensified during the Second World War along with the manufacture of bombs and armaments. The Nebiolo plants, excluding those destined for the Fonderia Fonti, are severely hit by the bombings of 1942 and 1943. In the immediate post-war period the company relaunched its activity on the foreign market, and in 1947 it incorporated the Fast (Textile Tools Factory) of Rivoli, but after a while he knows a reduction in production and a heavy reduction in employment. Between 1955 and 1965 the company experienced a decade of development, but by the end of the 1960s production was transferred to Settimo Torinese and with the autumn of the hot season the industrial unrest heavily affected industrial activity. In 1976 the crisis situation led to the entry of a new shareholder, Fiat, which decided to close the Fonderie Ghisa and ceased the production of printed characters. In 1982 the new company called Nebiolo Macchine Spa was entrusted to Edoardo Chevallard, who was succeeded in 1986 by Pivano of Alessandria and later Montenegro. In 1993 the bankruptcy was declared and a year later Nebiolo Printech was born, based in San Mauro Torinese.